Friday, April 27, 2012

Back to the Breadmaker

So like I said...it all began with the breadmaker. I would love to say that it was immediately life changing, easy and satisfying....but as I soon found out, there is a certain learning curve to using a breadmaker.  Upon opening the box I was greeted by a big, bright, shiny, new breadmaker.  So new, it even smelled new! That was the first problem....if you buy a breadmaker NEW...expect your whole house to smell like burning or melting plastic for several hours the first few times you make bread. You've got to keep doing it though, and that smell will go away and then you can enjoy that heavenly scent of fresh baked bread.  My first breads were far from stellar, some were even bad. I had some that were hard and dense, some were so fluffy you couldn't cut them without the whole loaf being crushed, too much yeast, not enough, to dry....you name it.  But I kept at it, I am fiercely stubborn, and rarely do i let an appliance get the best of me.  Over a period of a month or so the bread got better and I became more confident.  I discovered a few tricks that will help anyone outsmart this crafty little machine.

1. THROW THE RECIPE BOOK THAT COMES WITH THE BREADMAKER AWAY!  Hear me? Seriously. This thing is garbage.  Especially what order to put the ingredients in. Use Google to find recipes, you'll get great ones along with all the comments that let you know what people really think and suggestions for improvements. Also make sure if you do this, specify BREAD MACHINE RECIPES, at least until you get good at knowing how the dough will react.

2.  Ingredients go: Dry then wet! I usally do Flour, yeast, sugar, salt, any herbs or spices or grains you want to add, then oil, water.  If you do liquids first the flour can float and you'll be left with a horrid half mixed mess.

3.  Hover over the dough.  I am a helicopter parent when it comes to my dough. No joke.  Once you put your ingredients in, don't close the lid until you are sure that it is ready.  Be ready with a little more flour or water if the dough is too sticky or dry.  Use a rubber spatula to make sure all the flour in the corners and on the side gets incorporated.  If the dough won't form a ball it is too dry: add water 1 teaspoon at a time.  If its making a sloppy slapping sound, its too wet, add a teaspoon of flour.  I usually add a little water, then a little flour, then a little water and so on until its right. Don't be afraid to grab the dough ball out and feel it! It should be sticky and a bit tacky but not messy. It shouldn't leave remnants on your hands.  This whole process usually only takes a few minutes and saves you from disappoinment in the end.  (I hear you thinking: "Why not just measure correctly in the first place? Then you wouldn't have to go through all this...." Changes in humidity, type of flour, how long the bag has settled....many things can affect the dough. You gotta be able to adjust it)

4.  Yeast....I prefer bread machine yeast.  But I also use rapid rise yeast. I havent ventured into fresh yeast yet but I hear its great!  Just make sure its a new packet(or very recently opened) or use the jar so it can be sealed.  Yeast needs to be kept in the fridge, the freezer is too cold and can damage it. Use the correct amount for your recipe. Don't think if 1 teaspoon is good, 2 is better-NO NO NO!

5.  Salt.  Salt inhibits the growth of yeast.  Sounds counterproductive, but its actually important. It keeps the yeast from rising too fast or too much for the dough.  As with yeast, use what the recipe calls for. 

6. Water temperature.  The water should be between 80 and 95 degrees.  Over 140 and the yeast will die, under 85 and it will be very sluggish, if it even becomes active.  No need to use a thermometer unless you want to. Its not as hot as a hot tub, but very warm. 


If your ball has properly formed, and the lid is closed all you have to do now is wait! It won't hurt the dough at all to lift the lid and peek. I can never help myself. 

You can also use the machine to prepare dough that you may want to form yourself.  This setting is great for calzones, pizza dough, cinnamon rolls, pita bread, rolls, and all sorts of things other than one big loaf. 

After the initial learning curve, I have to say I am so happy with my breadmaker.  I use it very often and love that it allows me to control the ingerdients in my bread.  I also use alot of fresh herbs, like thyme, winter savory and rosemary from the garden in it.  Plus, there is no bread in the world that tastes better than a fresh steaming just baked loaf!  




3 comments:

  1. salam heather!!! I love that you are blogging now too. I love bread!!!

    penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asalam u alikum
    Keep blogging,its so good and i am learning so many new things.
    I had been seriously thinking about Breadmaker,but couple of other Pakistani freinds didnot have good experience with $ 50 Breadmaker
    How is ur one working and do u like the results?
    Fareeha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the sunbeam one from Walmart. I have had it for 4 years I think. I use it at least once a week. I love it! There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you search for recipes, make sure you look for bread machine recipes. Once you get used to it, it's so easy

    ReplyDelete