Sunday, May 27, 2012

Gaspacho is a dish best served cold


It's too hot out there today. The kids are running around in nothing but diapers and underwear and they still have heat rash.  Adults are irritable, dehydrated and don't feel mush like eating - much less cooking. If I could just drink smoothies all day, that would have been fine by me. It is officially the beginning of what we refer to in our house as gazpacho season. As soon as it gets hot we start a big container of it in the fridge.  We eat it for days on end, adding to it at times. It seems the bowl is never ending, but I swear we do wash it in bewtween batches! We just make a new batch before the bowl has had a chance to dry. This is the perfect dish for a hot day.  No cooking, and it's so refreshing. We had this for dinner just with a couple of ears of grilled corn! Summer perfection!

Ingredients
5-10 Ripe tomatoes, depeding on the size. I used 8 medium sized ones tonight. About 1/3 of your container should be tomatoes
2 large cucumbers
2 green bell peppers
1 stalk celery
1/3 red onion
small handful of cilantro
large handful of parsley
small handful of chives
large pinch ground cumin
1 1/2 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp vinegar(any kind is good, i like white wine or just plain)
2 tbsp lemon juice
V8 juice to fill container
a few shakes of tobasco sauce
salt and pepper to taste

You'll need a large container with a lid. I use a large mixing bowl, but tupperware or pyrex works great.  Just something you can store and restore it in the fridge with.
Cut all your veggies in large chunks(I cut the onion and celery a bit smaller just because I find the taster stronger on them) and put them in the bowl.  Chop your herbs very small, toss them in.  Add your spices and V8 juice just until it covers the top of the veggies.  Put a few splashes of tobasco.  Taste it to see if you need to add anything. Put it in the fridge to chill.  That's it. SO DELICIOUS! SO EASY!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my most favorite foods by you! I miss it! Guess I gotta try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we make the same thing back home with jalapenos pepper and some mint leaves

    ReplyDelete