Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ice Cream That's HEALTHY?????!!!!!!!



Yup. You read that right. Seriously. Put it this way, I'm really particular about what I feed my kids.....and I gave it to them FOR BREAKFAST! And I had a bowl myself.  The reason it's so healthy? The only ingredient is bananas. 

Ice Cream. Breakfast Of The Champions!

I love bananas, but sometimes I forget to eat them. Or sometimes I buy too many. So I end up making banana bread (which I have devised a healthier version of and will post soon) but it's not the healthiest thing in the world.  So when I found this recipe I was super excited!  I was amazed by the texture. It comes right out of the food processor with a texture like soft serve.  (You can put it in a container and freeze it too.  Just let it thaw a few minutes before scooping.) It is very creamy, and so much like real ice cream that my husband kept asking "This is really just bananas?". Yup. Just bananas. It's not as strong of a banana taste as you might expect, but if you're not a fan I came up with a few quick "fixes" that completely change the taste and are so yummy. 

BANANA "ICE CREAM"
3 or more ripe(slightly spotted) bananas

Cut your bananas in slices on a plate or tray.  Put them in the freezer for an hour or so.


Put your banana slices in the food processor.  Blend. It will start to look a bit like gravel.  You may need to stop once or twice to scrape down the sides.




It will all of a sudden start to come together, and them it will become this smooth, creamy whipped texture. Scoop and EAT! That's it!

And that's what I gave my toddler for breakfast! My daughter got some too.  But I wanted to try another version, so we tried adding a few ingredients to the ice cream that was remaining in the food processor.

CHOCO PEANUT VERSION(Add to banana "ice cream")
1 tbsp natural peanut butter (creamy or crunchy, either would work)
1 tsp cocoa powder(unsweetened)
When your ice cream is ready, just toss these ingredients in the food processor as well and blend till well mixed.


That was my favorite version of it.  It had the most "ice-creamy" texture, taste and overall feeling. It could definitely replace regular ice cream for me any day of the week and I would be a happy camper. This recipe, in a cone would taste just like the real thing. I forgot to take a pic of this variation.....I think that speaks to how delicious it is, and how it really did not last!


The other version was more of a fruit smoothie version. Because of the added liquid it was runnier, and not nearly as creamy.  It was like eating a heavy smoothie. Still great, but not as satisfying.  But definitely more of a healthy, breakfasty taste.  Funnily enough, this version has more sugar than the choco version!

FRUITY ICE CREAM VERSION(Add to banana "ice cream")
1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries(I used fresh, just popped them in the freezer when I put my bananas in, so they weren't frozen hard)
1 cup mango puree(sweetened...that's where the extra sugar came in)
When your ice cream is ready, just toss these ingredients in the food processor as well and blend till well mixed.

For this you could really use any fruits or berries you want! Just put them in the freezer when you put the bananas in so that they will not make it too runny. (Mango puree tastes good, but really made it liquidy) It may have also had something to do with the fact that it was 90 something degrees in our house when I made this version....versus the 70 something when I made the other version...hmmm.


Runnier, but still sooooo good!

I did eat a good sized bowl of this version, and loved it! But I saved a lot to put in a container in the freezer. I'm hoping it will firm up a bit and will be more like sherbet. We shall see. Either way, I know it won't go to waste since everyone in the house was a fan. 

This has to be the simplest, fastest recipe ever! And I love that I can eat ice cream every day now and not worry about sugar or fat content.  Try it. You'll be very pleasantly surprised!







2 comments:

  1. I am so going to try the peanut butter version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at icecream, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to omega watches for women

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete