Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My pallet project



There are so many great ideas of how to re-use pallets out there.  But a lot of them require dismantling the pallet, which is more dificult than it may look. Trust me, I've done it.  Often pallets are not in the best condition and the wood splits, cracks, breaks, easily.  Often times the nails holding it together are unneccessarily huge. Or rusted. Or bent horribly.  More often than not, a project that you thought would take an hour or so, ends up taking the whole day, most of your pride and a piece of your  dignity along with it (I found myslef pleading with an inanimate object to please, please release the nails into my custody. I promised to give them back!) So after my first project which was of the "dismantle/reassemble" sort, I decided my next one would be more of the "put it where I want and leave it" sort.  So after getting a great idea from a friend, I leaned my pallet against a nice sunny wall, and rested some terra cotta pots I found in our shed in it.  I filled the pots with a bit of potting soil and herbs, ivys and vines.  It looks great, but after our many days away, no rain for weeks and some of the hotteset weather Indiana has ever seen, it's looking a little sad.  These pictures are taken immediately after potting the plants so some may look a little wilty due to being transplanted. 

This is a great way to keep all your herbs in one area, it's a huge space saver, and it creates an interesting wall display.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I keep reading that pallets can be found everywhere, but where exactly did you find your pallet? I would love to make this for my herbs, and have found several other projects I would like to do as well, but I never see pallets and don't know where to look. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete